Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Holidays from St. Croix

Notables:
~ The movement of the island is at a numbingly slow pace. Fast food takes about 30 minutes to get, grocery shopping lines alone...~45 minutes. To top it all off, I went to the hospital to get checked out for some pain that I was having only to be there for almost 10 hours. Only the basic tests were administered.
~ I get 23 channels of TV, 6 of which are a version of HBO.
~Barracudas are attracted to shiny things. Don't worry, everything on me is still intact.
~Based on several surveyed comments, african-american men on the island are very insatiated, horny creatures...even more so than anywhere else I have seen.
~ Georgia Tech beat U[sic]GA in our football rivalry this year. I was beginning to wonder why people were looking at me funny when I was running up-and-down the street like a madman.... screaming with joy. A new era has begun, my friends. Relive the glory!

So it has been almost 2 months now. The paradise-like atmosphere is nice, but there are only a handful of things to do here. I spent Thanksgiving weekend watching alot of football and resting. Below are pictures from 'Jump Up,' which is one big block party in Christiansted where people go crazy while singing and dancing in the street. The guys on stilts are called Moko Jumbies, who are dressed to ward off evil spirits.



I later found out that these 'stilt men' are actually young boys aging from about 10-18 yrs or so. These boys have some mad dancing skills...all while on stilts, which is pretty impressive. The band that was playing during the festival is apparently playing for part of President Obama's inauguration in January '09. Quite the honor, if you ask me.

For those of you in dying in subzero windchill Chicago temperatures right now, below is a picture of Point Udall, which marks the easternmost point of the United States. The day was about 83F in the middle of December; don't hate me because I'm warm.


More Pictures

I am unsure of when I am leaving the island, but I will keep you posted. Until then, I wish you and your family a very Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year.

No comments: